Thursday, September 23, 2010

My time with Anne and Jean Paul has been very relaxing, especially the last 2 days.  Yesterday I didn't even leave the house except for a walk.  I hung around the house and garden with Anne's parents in the morning while Anne was at school. 

After lunch, Jean Paul and I had a cookie baking competition, and although the cookies were basically the same I helped reinfore american stereotypes by making mine twice the size.

Of course we had to taste both of them, and after all the cookies Anne and I went out for a walk around the village and surrounding farms.  It was just the most beautiful evening, with the sun setting over the corn fields and the yellow houses dotting the hills... of course I didn't bring my camera that time... 

Today they've just got something in the mail saying the village council decided to name the roads and give the houses numbers, which is a BIG DEAL.  It is rather a small village, with the town hall across from Anne & Jean Paul's house, which looks like this:
Today we got up early(ish) to go into town for the market.  Anne and Jean Paul know many of the vendors since they all live around here.  Anne bought leeks that she's putting in the ground as I write (I did help for a while).  Outside of the food shed there are people selling ducks, chickens, rabbits, and a bunch of junky housewares (or rubbishy, as Anne and her mum call it).  We came back and had lunch, and now it's more sitting around.  We'll be going over to Jean Paul's mom's in a little while to pick the peaches while she's out of town, and apparently poaching them this evening.  Tarbes is going to seem like a glittering metropolis after these few days en village...
...even the cat thinks so!

No comments:

Post a Comment