Tuesday, May 10, 2011

foooooooood.

Since I can't put my pictures on my computer to upload them to my blog, I'll just give you a little taste of Nice.  Today I went to Fenocchio, a famous ice cream place in Nice which is known for its weird ice cream flavors, like beer, tomato-basil, and various flowers.  I picked avocado and rosemary.  The rosemary didn't have too much flavor--it definitely tasted like rosemary but in a pretty mild way, and it was a little bit sweet.  The avocado, on the other hand, was heavenly.  It was also a bit sweet, but so creamy and delicious, with a really mild avocado flavor but a great texture.  I will try to make avocado ice cream this summer but there is no way it will be as good as this.  My sister and I tried an avocado chocolate in Bruges, just because it seemed weird, and it was also great.  I never would have guessed avocado would lend itself so well to sweet things, but I want to experiment with all kinds of avocado desserts now!

I also tried another niçois specialty the other day, socca.  It's basically a chickpea pancake--they use chick pea flour to make a great big flatbread that they fold up and cut into pieces and you eat it as a snack.  They don't put anything on it, and chick peas don't really have that much flavor, so it really only tastes like salt but it was a great snack.

It's my last night in Nice and for dinner I will be enjoying a delicacy of pasta with pesto and tomatoes--back on the poor diet since my parents left!  And tomorrow I'll be heading north to spend a few days with Ginger in Paris, which will be lovely and relaxing, before I head really really north to Reykjavik.

No comments:

Post a Comment