Friday, May 6, 2011

Whoops!

So I realized I haven't posted anything in a while.  I can't really post about Basque Country with my parents until I put my pictures on my hard drive, which could take a while since there isn't enough room in my hard drive for my photos... Also blogger changed its photo uploader so I probably wouldn't figure out how to do it anyway.

BUT, Basque country was really really lovely and I had the best time with my parents.  We stayed in Bayonne, the capital of French basque country and did day trips to Biarritz, St-Jean-de-Luz, some inland Basque villages, and San Sebastian, in spanish basque country.  The villages were beautiful and San Sebastian is an awesome beach town.  I found Biarritz to be kind of boring, it wasn't beach season but it still seemed like there was absolutely nothing to do there besides the beach.  San Sebastian, on the other hand, was beautiful and really fun and lively.  It was packed with people,  and there was an important soccer match that day so there were tons of people drinking and shouting in the streets.  Even though it's just across the border, it definitely felt not French.  I would love to spend a few days there in the summer, but it was still cool to see just for a few hours. We went to the Basque Museum on the first day in Bayonne to learn everything we know about Basque culture

On Sunday, we drove from Bayonne to Toulouse, spent a lovely last afternoon and evening in Toulouse seeing impressionist art, drinking wine, and enjoying our last meal of duck, then on Monday they headed to the airport and I headed to the train to come to Marseille to meet up with a friend.  I'm still there now and we're heading to Nice this evening.  I've been staying with a friend of Molly's in Marseille is really nice and fun and has been hanging out with us, showing us some stuff in the city, and introducing us to some of his friends.  I really love Marseille so far.  There are tons of immigrants, so it's really diverse and interesting, and it's also on the Mediterranean and is really beautiful too.  Unlike many other French cities, it's a little bit dirty and loud, which I love.  It reminds me a lot of Rome--not the cleanest city, but it has tons of history and character. 

I'll try to update where I am but I'm gonna be on the go until the end of May so I probably won't write very much.  sorry in advance!

No comments:

Post a Comment